In the past week there must have been a hundred stories written celebrating the 45th anniversary of Apollo 11. Here’s just a small sampling:
- Moon landing 45 years ago brought us together
- 45th Anniversary of The Flight of the Eagle
- The excitement of Apollo 11 lingers in Pensacola area
- Apollo 11 anniversary: The day America landed on the moon
- From the Earth to the Moon to the Earth
- ‘ONE GIANT LEAP’ Apollo 11’s historic trip to the moon marks its 45th anniversary
These articles try to cover the topic from all angles. Some looked at the wonders of the achievement. Others extolled the newspaper’s local community and their contribution. Some used the event to demand the U.S. do it again.
None of this interests me much. Though I passionately want humans, preferable Americans, back on the Moon exploring and settling it, this fetish with celebrating Apollo is to me becoming quite tiresome.
» Read more