For many reasons, mostly political but partly ethical, I do not use Google, Facebook, Twitter. They practice corrupt business policies, while targeting conservative websites for censoring, facts repeatedly confirmed by news stories and by my sense that Facebook has taken action to prevent my readers from recommending Behind the Black to their friends.
Thus, I must have your direct support to keep this webpage alive. Not only does the money pay the bills, it gives me the freedom to speak honestly about science and culture, instead of being forced to write it as others demand.
Please consider donating by giving either a one-time contribution or a regular subscription, as outlined in the tip jar below.
Regular readers can support Behind The Black with a contribution via paypal:
If Paypal doesn't work for you, you can support Behind The Black directly by sending your donation by check, payable to Robert Zimmerman, to
Behind The Black
c/o Robert Zimmerman
Cortaro, AZ 85652
You can also support me by buying one of my books, as noted in the boxes interspersed throughout the webpage. And if you buy the books through the ebookit links, I get a larger cut and I get it sooner.
Beginning in October 2017, I began to do weekly posts listing the free speech atrocities that were occurring on American campuses. I finished the year with a summary which listed all the colleges where such tyranny appeared to be supported and encouraged. As I noted,
[A]lmost every college shown marks a moment when leftist members of an administration, facility, or student body acted to squelch the free speech rights of a conservative. Nor do I think this is because of bias on my part. From the beginning I have recognized the possibility that I might unfairly only report oppressive incidents committed by the left, and have tried to avoid that. Unfortunately, despite my sincere effort to report incidents where conservatives tried to silence liberals, during the whole year I only came across one event where a conservative college acted to shut down a dissenting liberal speaker. I admit that I might have missed a few, but even if I did I do not think this would change the overall pattern. 2017 was a year in which the left decided that it was acceptable to act like fascist thugs and do whatever they could to shut down the free speech of opposing points of view.
I have been lax posting these weekly reports since the beginning of 2018, and this post is my attempt to catch up. Interesting, I got inspired to do this by a story that isn’t directly related to academic fascism at all: Christian Bridal Shop Closes Down Over Fear of LGBT Law After Facing Death Threats.
The local government there is about to pass an ordinance that will make it illegal for these dressmakers to both practice their religion while also making wedding dresses. Rather than violate their conscience, they are shutting down. Worse however was the level of hate directed at them simply because they do not support same-sex marriage:
Because of the store’s refusal to sell dresses for same-sex weddings, Boucher and her family have faced a variety of different threats through social media, email and telephone since 2014. People have not only threatened to burn down their place of business but have also threatened to shoot them in the head. Last summer, the shop closed down temporarily to the public and was only accepting appointments because the harassment got so bad.
Much like the early days of Christianity in the Roman empire, faithful Christians are now finding that they must go underground to practice their faith in America.
It is for this reason that the title of this post uses the term “leftist fascism,” not “academic fascism.” Even though most of the events where jack-booted thugs have attacked innocent people, merely for expressing their freedom of speech, have occurred on college campuses, I realize that this problem has spread beyond the campus. We are now faced with a fascist movement in the U.S., linked to the Democratic Party, that is filled with hate for anyone who disagrees with it, and whose goal is to destroy all dissenters.
If you doubt me, then I dare you to read some of the following stories:
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute officers block students from passing out literature on public sidewalk
- Protesters at Lewis & Clark Law School in Portland shout down dissident feminist
- Republican event threatened and vandalized at Washington University
- Police have to protect Trump supporters from mob at University of Southern California
- Notre Dame students demand removal of Columbus murals
- Williams College encourages students to file reports against anyone who says anything that offends them
- Miami University shuts down conservative speaker by demanding prohibitive security fee
- Donations intended for pro-marriage group at Georgetown University sent to gay group instead
- George Washington University launches “investigation” into “harmful” photograph of student holding banana peel
Nor is this fascist movement limited only to the United States:
- Great Britain: Mob threatens, attacks, and shuts down a conservative speaker at a literary event
- Great Britain: Masked mob attacks conservative speakers at free speech panel at London College
- Canada: Mob dressed in black damages vehicles, smashes storefronts on Hamilton’s Locke St.
In some cases the violence is perpetrated by the students, with either the support of the school or its willingness to appease by looking the other way. In other cases the school administration itself acts to silence debate and dissenting views. In all cases, the actions are of those who wish to not only silence debate, but to squelch knowledge and encourage ignorance. The demand at Notre Dame by students to remove murals of Columbus is a fine example of this. Anyone who has ever taken any history course about Columbus always learns about his participation in the slave trade. No one has ever whitewashed this fact. By demanding that he be wiped from history means that future students won’t know anything about him, except what these fascists thugs declare.
And then there are stories that, while not specifically about actions aimed at silencing political dissent, illustrate the genocidal, bigoted, oppressive, and foolish mindset of this fascist movement:
- University of Minnesota professor promotes killing disabled babies: “Time to Support Eugenic Abortion”
- Professor at San Diego State University harassed white student over cultural appropriation
- Professor at Brooklyn College claims that “meritocracy” in math classes is a “tool of whiteness.”
- ‘Feminist Science’ event teaches researchers how to do ‘socially just science’
The freedom-loving people of the world had better start realizing that we are faced with the rise of a new fascism movement, and act to do something about it. In general the left here is made up of bullies. They don’t yet have any real legal power. You stand up to them and they fold like a house of cards. Sadly, too few people appear willing to stand up to them.
This must change. If it doesn’t, these thugs are going to soon actually have legal power, and they will then use it with all the thuggish force they can against anyone who stands in their way.